Artist Creative Residency
Applications close on January 20, 2022
This creative residency is offered by the Centre des musiciens du monde along with the collaboration of the Conseil des arts de Montréal. This program is designed for groups of professional musicians with an acoustic approach to new or recent music, hybrid music or established traditions in non-western and folk music. This 50-hour creative residency will take place in the studios of the Centre des musiciens du monde with personalized mentoring and the public presentation of artistic works as part of the next edition of the Festival des musiciens du monde (June 16-19, 2022) .
Description of the program
Description of the program?
This program is aimed at collectives of professional artists (3 members) with an acoustic approach in new or recent music, hybrid music or established traditions in non-western and folk music, residing on the island of Montreal.
Which projects are concerned?
The projects concerned by this program are research, creation and production projects in new or recent music, hybrid music or established traditions in non-western musical and folk music.
What are the objectives?
Through this program, the Conseil des arts de Montréal and the Centre des musiciens du monde wish to offer to a collective of artists, established or in the making, the possibility of:
- developing an acoustic approach in new or recent music, hybrid music, established traditions in non-western and folk music;
- carrying out an artistic project;
- being equipped and supported according to their specific needs.
The objectives of this program are also to:
- support artistic vitality and help improve the professional development of targeted artists;
- offer an annual professional showcase dedicated to artists with an acoustic approach in new or recent music, hybrid music, established traditions in non-western and folk music, as well as a springboard to support artists in the development of their careers and promote them to the public, the media and the music industry;
- facilitate their access to the industry and their presence therein;
- promote meetings between professionals to share knowledge of the field.
Nature of the assistance
What financial assistance is granted?
The assistance granted is as follows:
- a $5,800 grant for 50 hours of rehearsals;
- the fees of an artistic advisor for $1,500;
- access to a room for creation and assistance from a technician valued at $600;
- fees and access to sound, lighting, video equipment valued at $3,925;
- a fee of $1,300 for the public presentation of the created work during the 5th edition of the Festival des musiciens du monde, which will take place from June 16 to 19, 2022;
- support according to the needs identified in the support request.
How long is the residency?
The residency will take place over a period of 5 months as follows:
- February to June 2022: 50 hours performed in the rehearsal room of the Centre des musiciens du monde;
- Week of June 6, 2022: dress rehearsal in the church Saint-Enfant-Jésus du Mile-End;
- June 16 to 19, 2022: concert performed as part of the 5th edition of the Festival des musiciens du monde.
The support is ad hoc. There is no recurrence.
A single request can be submitted and accepted per group of artists.
What is the contribution of the partners?
The grant offered to the laureates comes from the CAM. The Centre des musiciens administers the entire program, contributes to the promotion of this project, in addition to offering its spaces and a tailor-made support service.
This program is intended for groups of professional musicians made up of three members with an acoustic approach to new or recent music, hybrid music, forms of established non-western musical tradition and popular tradition and whose members of the group meet the following statutes and conditions:
- be a collective of artists, formed or in the making, wishing to develop a project that is original and not a revival;
- be represented by a person responsible for the request;
- be made up of two-thirds of artists who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada (the proportion of members of the collective residing outside Canada cannot exceed one-third );
- be composed of artists mainly domiciled (50% +1) on the territory of the island of Montreal, including the person in charge of the application;
- be composed of professional artists who have not already integrated the usual circuits of financing;
- be available for the duration of the residency.
How many requests will be accepted?
One project will be selected.
What are the documents to attach to the request?
- description of your project and your artistic approach;
- curriculum vitae of the artists, performers, designers participating in the project with the address of their main residence;
- implementation schedule;
- one or more video and / or audio links of the collective or of each member.
How are requests evaluated?
Applications will be evaluated by an ad hoc jury composed mainly of peers from the music industry and a representative of the Conseil des arts de Montréal. All projects will be assessed on merit and the selection will take into account the comparative value of the projects.
What is the evaluation criteria?
The evaluation committee will take into account the objectives of the program and the following criteria:
→ Contribution to disciplinary development and professionalization: 40%
- Contribution to the variety of practices offered in Montreal;
- Contribution of the project to the development of the sector;
- Contribution of the project to the development of the careers of the musicians composing the collective.
→ Artistic quality: 40%
- Artistic quality and interest of the project;
- Quality of the artistic approach of the collective of musicians;
- Innovative character and originality of the artistic approach.
→ Project feasibility: 20%
- Feasibility of the project and realism of the financial proposal and the implementation schedule.
What will be the response time?
Between the filing deadline and the processing of files, a period of four weeks is required for processing applications. The applicant will be notified of the decision by email. Decisions are final and without appeal.
Accepting this residency and receiving the grant constitutes for the artist a commitment to carrying out the activities covered by the said grant and to respect the associated conditions and which will be communicated upon acceptance of the application.
The artist agrees to:
- carry out their project according to the established agreement;
- advise as quickly as possible of his or her inability to carry out the project for which a subsidy has been paid to him or her during the planned fiscal year. Depending on the case, part or all of the amount granted may be reimbursed;
- submit an activity report at the end of the residency and include in its report photos, videos or any other relevant royalty-free visual elements that can be used for promotional or archival purposes.
The members of the selected collective undertake to:
- be sufficiently available during the established period of residence;
- collaborate closely with the project manager, artistic advisor and other stakeholders;
- be present during rehearsals and creative sessions;
- carry out the project as planned.
Visibility and logo
Publicly acknowledge the contribution of the Conseil des arts de Montréal and the Centre des musiciens du monde, by reproducing their logos within its programs, brochures, leaflets, website and other promotional materials. The logo and standards for the use of the Council’s logo are available on its website at the following address: artsmontreal.org/en/conseil/logos.
January 20 2022, 23h59
Sent your application by email at firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline with the subject : Résidence CAM-CMM2022